Sunday, June 15, 2008

How's Dad?

Hi again! It's been sometime since I last blog as I was busy moving my things down from my home, or shall I say my ex-home which I had sold off recently.

So what have you all being doing lately?

Yesterday was Fathers' Day or did you forget? My family did or I think they did as I did not see that they have planned anything special for me. Was I upset? Yes, a little bit but like any other fathers, it would be nice to be felt appreciated sometimes. In fact, I did something utterly shameful. I hinted to one of my daughters about it and Wham! the spirit of the event was instantly lost. It didn't feel special anymore even if they were to later to suggest celebrating over dinner and buying a gift for me. Maybe I was ashamed for asking for my recognition, I didn't feel like celebrating it anymore.

Contrary to what I thought would be a disastrous day, I had one of the most happiest day of my life on this Fathers' Day because I had my Mom with me and she taught my wife to make a traditional Chinese dumplings which I had not tasted for umpteen years. While they were making the dumplings which took them almost 10 hours, I was lazying around watching television while my 2 daughters did their own things, I suddenly felt a sense of contentment. Sure my daughters gave me the obligatory Happy Father's Day but it wasn't because of that. I felt happy because I have a happy family and I did not need anything else to make it any better.

But is Fathers' Day important to fathers? It is to some extend but its just obligatory. Showing love and appreciation to your father should not be just a one day affair, it is everyday. Don't just Happy Fathers' Day and assumed that its enough. Fathers, even the most fierce ones will feel good when they know their family, particularly the children appreciates him. Most people finds it uncomfortable to be affectionate with their fathers and vice-versa because most fathers fear losing their kids' respect for him if he is 'too soft'. Irrespective of this, every children should try to show that they really love and care about their fathers, particularly on this special occasion. On this special day, they should not only think about taking Dad out for dinner or buy him an obligatory dinner. This is not important to him. Give him a hug and tell him that he is the greatest father in the world. Don't buy him an Ogawa massage chair, massage for him (it's much cheaper and more effective). Don't take him to dinner but gather all your brothers and sisters together and surprise him with a simple home dinner. At this stage, a simple packet of 'chap fun' would have the same taste as sharks fin and bird's nest. This is more precious than anything on earth to him.

Fathers Day comes but once a year but being a father is being there for the family every millisecond. Don't just remember him for one day, love him every millisecond as well.


Happy belated Fathers' Day to all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we did hv a plan, bt not executed yet.
so ur present wil b a belated 1.
couldn't find the perfect 1 for you.

n dun u dare say we din get u nethin!
we've been planning to get u this since we're in pg weeks back ok?!
*dies*

our efforts r unappreciated it seems...
T-T

by the way, did u even see what i wrote for you in my blog???

C said...

Happy Father's Day, Dude. :)